Friday, September 17, 2010

XC Nav Logs

I made a few changes to Patti's Nav log that I find useful. Maybe these features are already in the templates and I just didn't find them. The changes I made are pretty simple and straight forward but they make it easier for me to create the NAV logs and update them. In general the changes are:

1) A number of the fields such as distance remaining, estimated time en-route are calculated from other inputs.

2) The other change was to the WCA field. If you fill in the magnetic wind and speed in the respective fields and you provide the TAS, it will calculate the WCA as well as the estimated ground speed. You can always double check this with your E6B. It makes it easier to update your NAV log if you trip gets delayed to the next day or next week by simply entering in the new wind direction and speed.

3) VOR IDs - I tend to like to have everything easy to read and what I found was when I was using a pen to fill in the VOR codes my dashes don't always look like dashes. I added another tab to the workbook for VORs with graphics for their codes. You can copy and paste those into the NavLog sheet and they are actually readable. If your favorite VOR is not listed, the individual letters in Morse code are on that sheet so you can easily copy and paste to create the image you need.

I posted the spreadsheet to the following location. Hopefully you might find it useful. If you have trouble with it or have question send me an email.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9plTf-7IKBQZDMzZGZmOTUtNGVjOS00MTEzLWE3N2YtYTkxY2Y1MjlmMzFj&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

No comments:

Post a Comment